top of page


Taxable Income for Non-Resident Actors Working in Canada: A Guide for Corporations

As a non-resident actor working in Canada, understanding the tax implications of your acting fees is crucial. In this blog post, we’ll explore how corporations can handle taxable income related to acting services. Let’s dive in!


Can I Use My Corporation to Receive Acting Fees?


Yes, you may use a corporation to receive your acting fees. However, there are important considerations:


  1. Tax Withholding: When your corporation receives acting fees, a 23% tax will be withheld from the gross amount paid or credited. This ensures compliance with Canadian tax regulations.


  1. Electing to File a Tax Return: Even if you use a corporation, you can still elect to file a tax return. The corporation must account for income earned in Canada at the rate applicable to corporations. This involves considering both income and expenses related to the acting services provided within Canada.


Electing to File a Return: What You Need to Know

  1. Corporation’s Choice: If your corporation elects to file a tax return, it must pay tax on the income earned in Canada. This tax rate aligns with corporate rates.

  2. Related Individual Non-Resident Actor: If the corporation has made payments to a related individual non-resident actor (such as yourself), that actor must also file an elective return.

Tax Treatment of Payments from the Corporation


You have two options:


  1. Option 1: The corporation pays 23% tax on the total amount of payments received for acting services. In this scenario, no additional tax is payable on payments to you from the corporation.


  1. Option 2: The corporation elects to file a tax return. Here’s how it works:

  • Calculate the corporation’s income subject to tax, considering payments made to you.

  • You, as an individual, must also file a tax return. Pay tax on the income earned for acting services in Canada, including payments received from the corporation.


Corporate Income Tax Rates


For corporations other than Canadian Controlled Private Corporations (CCPCs):


  • Base Amount of Part I Tax: The basic rate of Part I tax is 38% of taxable income.

  • Federal Tax Abatement: The federal tax abatement equals 10% of taxable income earned in a Canadian province or territory.

  • General Tax Reduction: Corporations benefit from a 13% general tax reduction on qualifying income. Note that this reduction applies only to taxable income subject to a specific rate.

Remember to consult a tax professional or accountant to ensure compliance with all regulations. Proper tax planning can help you maximize your earnings while fulfilling your obligations as a non-resident actor in Canada.

Calculating Corporate Tax:

Let’s walk through an example to calculate the corporate tax for a non-resident actor in Canada.

Suppose the following details apply:

  • Taxable Income: $739,000

Step 1: Basic Income Tax

The basic income tax is calculated as follows:

Basic Income Tax=Taxable Income×Tax Rate

where the tax rate is 38%.

Substitute the values:

Basic Income Tax=$739,000×0.38=$280,820

Step 2: Federal Tax Abatement

The federal tax abatement is equal to 10% of the taxable income earned in a Canadian province or territory:

Federal Tax Abatement=Taxable Income×0.10

Substitute the values:

Federal Tax Abatement=$739,000×0.10=$73,900

Step 3: General Tax Reduction

A general tax reduction of 13% is available on qualifying income:

General Tax Reduction=Taxable Income×0.13

Substitute the values:

General Tax Reduction=$739,000×0.13=$96,070

Step 4: Total Taxes Payable

Now let’s calculate the total taxes payable:

Taxes Payable=Basic Income Tax−(Federal Tax Abatement + General Tax Reduction)

Substitute the values:

Taxes Payable=$280,820−($73,900+$96,070)=$110,850

Therefore, the non-resident actor’s taxes payable amount to $110,850 (15% of the taxable income).

Remember that tax planning and consulting with a professional are essential to ensure accurate compliance with Canadian tax regulations.


bottom of page